Summer is upon us and while more sunshine may be fun for us, the increased heat can be a problem for your piggies! Here are a few tips and tricks to learn how to keep your guinea pigs cool and safe this summer!
Keeping Guinea Pigs Cool in the Summer
Guinea pigs should be kept in temperatures around 65 – 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Above 80 degrees or below 60 degrees is detrimental to their health. Many people wonder how to keep guinea pigs cool in the summer. Learn some tips below!
- Give your guinea pig vegetables that are high in water content! But don’t forget to keep their diets varied.
- Use a fan or air conditioner! For air flow and cool air, it helps lower their temperature. Fans must face away from the guinea pig!
- Move their hutch to a cooler place! Make sure they’re away from the sun or are in a shady spot.
- Keep ice packs close! Wrap ice packs in a cloth so your piggies can sit next to them.
- Give them cold water! Try putting a couple of ice cubes in their water.
- Brush your piggies’ fur! Remove excess fur – there’s no need for a winter coat in hot weather.